Monday, September 26, 2011

Wabi Sabi



What is Wabi sabi?  Well, Wabi sabi (侘寂?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".[1] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印, sanbōin?), specifically impermanence (無常, mujō?), the other two being suffering (dukkha) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (sunyata).

Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, asperity (roughness or irregularity), simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes.

And I love it!  I love the mix of Wabi sabi and modern.  I'm a very strange character when it comes to my likes and dislikes... it's a fusion of English cottage (without the clutter), French country (just a touch... I mean a small touch... a little goes a long way for me), Arts & Crafts Style and/or Mission Style with a huge dose of Asian influence... toss in some Scandinavian/Dutch modern and I'm a happy girl.  See... kind of complex.  You can't put me in a category, no, I take that back, I'm eclectic! Very square peg will never fit into the very round holes... and I like it that way.  However, there must be a lot of other people like me... judging by my Pinterest boards!

What I love about the picture above... same as some other pictures I've posted... the rough old table and the smooth modern chairs.  There is just something about that combo that turns me on!  I can just see that table laid out with plain white dishes... I can see them rocking because the table isn't even (and I love that)... the beauty is in its imperfections.  Just like us.

That tea pot and tea cup is a must have as well.

On a side note... kitchen is on hold for a moment... we (when I say we, I mean Rob) discovered a plumbing issue in the bathroom this weekend.  Apparently, while I was taking a shower Saturday morning, Rob was outside and kept hearing running water under the house... he took a little look-see and yes, indeed, there was running water coming from the plumbing!  The joys of owning an older home.  A plumber will be called today.  Please don't let it be something expensive!!!

***UPDATE***
Plumbing issue resolved.  It was a trap issue... apparently it was made out of galvanized steel or something like that and had just worn until it was paper thin.  $140 fix, thank you, thank you!!!


No comments: