Friday, October 28, 2011

TOXIC!

I was catching up on one of my (many) blogs I follow, this afternoon, and the topic was natural skin care products; things like shampoos, conditioners, lotions, soaps, lipstick… etc., and the fact that she (Elise Blaha) has been slowly changing out her usual products for more earth friendly products and less toxic products. She found this cheat sheet from the book There’s Lead in Your Lipstick, and as she ran out of a product, she replaced it with a better product.
Well, I went to Pure Anada natural cosmetics website and there was a link towards the bottom to Gillian “Gill” Deacon’s website… she’s the author of There’s Lead in Your Lipstick and she’s also a breast cancer survivor. Apparently there are more toxins in the products we use, then we are aware of and WE NEED TO BE AWARE OF IT. If you go to her site, you can download the “cheat sheet” to print out. It’s a nice wallet sized tip sheet with a guide to the best brands and their web addresses and a list of the toxins to avoid.

Just at first glance I realized that my favorite shampoo has at least 12 of these listed toxins in it. TWELVE! Out of 26 listed ingredients, 12 of them are toxic… no wonder when it got in my eye’s one morning, I thought I was going to go blind it burned so badly. By the way, this isn’t a cheap shampoo, it’s a salon shampoo that I switched to, because I had almost killed my hair with some less expensive shampoo from Target, that according to my stylist, had paraffin (as in wax) in it and it was stripping and killing my hair. So, she recommended this rather pricey shampoo… granted, my hair looks great, better than it has in years. But 12 toxins… that just freaks me out!

So, this made me do a little Google searching... and I found http://www.gorgeouslygreen.com/.  Sophie Uliano has written three books:




From what I've seen of the reviews on Amazon, the books are really good and the website is really nice.  I'm interested in reading Gorgeously Green and Do It Gorgeously... I know it's just not practical for me to go completely green, but I'd like to be greener.  I'd certainly like to not be using toxic products on my body and in my home.  We have a cat... an older cat... so if I'm cleaning the house with products that "take my breath away," what must it be doing to her.  Makes you think.

OK, something to think about.  Happy Friday!  Be good to yourself.

No comments: